While we were in Palm Springs we spent a lot of time in the pool because of the crazy desert heat! We wanted something cool and refreshing, and sangria is what came to mind. Sangria is a “wine punch” that originated from Spain and Portugal. It is usually made with a light, in-expensive wine, and either white or red wine can be used. In our case, we made up a batch of both because we love all types of wine! Fruit is the second most important component. You can use whatever fruit you have available in your kitchen, and for us this was fresh oranges, lemons, peaches, and a single green apple that we brought home from brunch that morning. Next, you want something to sweeten your sangria up a bit. We used orange juice and diet Sprite, but honey, sugar, simple syrup, or fruit juice are other good choices depending on how sweet you want your drink to be. A small amount of brandy or triple sec can be added as well. Sangria is best if made a day before serving so that the flavor of the fruit can infuse into the drink, however, we did not have this option and it was still very good. Make this sangria for your next BBQ or girls night and let us know what ingredients you used to make it just right!
Summer Sangria (Red Version)
- 2 bottles of red wine
- 4 oranges
- 2 lemons
- 2 peaches
- 2 cups diet Sprite (use more or less depending on taste)
- 2 cups soda water
- 1 cup orange juice
- Prepare a container that you are going to use for the sangria. We used a glass drink dispenser that could hold 4 quarts.
- Slice 2 of the oranges and peaches into small wedges and place in drink dispenser.
- Slice the 2 remaining oranges and lemons into large sections, squeeze juice and pulp into container, and then throw in sections.
- Add diet Sprite, soda water, and orange juice. Mix well.
- Serve with ice and a festive straw!